A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans ruled 2-1 on Thursday to stay an injunction issued by U.S. District Judge Gregg Costa early last month that blocked enforcement of parts of Texas' new deputy voter registrar laws.
Judge Costa in Galveston had blocked the state from enforcing the new laws rules until their legality can be determined in a court hearing scheduled for next month. But yesterday's 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling allows Texas to enforce new deputy voter registrar laws passed by the 2011 Texas Legislature. Those laws limit who can hand out voter registration cards and who can collect completed registration forms:
- No one can work in voter registration drives who doesn’t live in Texas;
- No one can work outside any one particular county;
- Payment to registration drive workers must be an hourly wage and compensation cannot be based on the worker’s productivity;
- No completed voter registration forms can be photocopied by the registration drive workers or the registration drive organization; and
- All completed voter registrations must be delivered to county elections officials in person by the deputy registrar.
Texas Volunteer Deputy Registrar Guide on the Texas Secretary of State website.
The last day to register to vote in the November 6, 2012 General Election is Tuesday October 9, 2012.
If you have not already received your new yellow 2012-13 voter registration card, you may not be registered to vote in the county where you currently reside.
You should immediately check your registration status and take action to properly register, if you find you are not registered to vote in the county where you reside.
To check your Collin Co. registration status - click here. To check your registration status in another Texas county - click here. If you find you are not registered to vote, you can find the Voter's Registration application by clicking here.
More details available at Your 2012 Collin Co. Voter Registration Card.
Early voting for the Nov. 6, 2012 General Election will run from Monday, Oct 22, 2012 to Friday, Nov 2, 2012 at your usual county early polling locations.