Penny Phillips, Democratic candidate for 5th District Court of Appeals, Place 5, is out with a very well done campaign video on YouTube.
Penny served the state of Texas as an Assistant District Attorney in the 1990s. She also served the United States as a JAG officer in the Air Force. She current has her own law office in Plano.
Civil and criminal cases from district and county courts in Collin, Dallas, Kaufman, Rockwall and Grayson counties are appealed to the 5th District Court of Appeals, which includes one Chief Justice and twelve other Justice "places." No Democrats currently sit on Fifth Court of Appeals.
In the 2012 General Election, five Democratic Candidates, including one other woman, Tonya Holt for Place 11, are running for place seats on this appellate court:
- Tonya Holt for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 11
- Penny Phillips for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 5
- Larry Praeger for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 12
- David Hanshen for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 9
- Dan Wood for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 2
Like the Texas Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeals, Justices of the Texas Courts of Appeals are elected to six-year terms by general election. Graphical Guide to the Court System of Texas) (map)